Capabilities of the iOS?

Saila Laitinen's picture

Would anyone know how 'closed' system the iOS is? I'm most interested in knowing whether it is possible to get access to the incoming call APIs? In Symbian it was possible to apply an access to such APIs through FN API Partnering service.

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 
Gábor Fetter's picture

The SDK provides CoreTelephony framework to provide some data about current calls, but the info you can get is very limited. (Call id-s, state of calls.)
There is no way to access the incoming/outgoing voice streams at all or even to identify the caller. (It is a privacy issue for Apple to have this restriction.)
However, I have read about a trick to obtain the caller name with accessing the status bar on screen.
Some companies offer solution to record outgoing calls via call forwarding, but there is no soluition on the market to record incoming calls at all.

Saila Laitinen's picture

Thanks for your prompt reply Gabor! Very interesting reading indeed. Please bear me with one more question: so this CoreTelephony Framework enables an application to react whenever an incoming call is coming to a iPhone, right?

How long of a delay are we talking about once this app gets this information?

Gábor Fetter's picture

If an application is running on the phone, it can register for telephony related notifications and get notified about state changes immediately.
The point is that the application must be running. In iOS, 3rd party apps cannot be automatically started during boot time. It is always the user who starts an application. (If it matters in this case.)
Even if the app is running, it cannot influence the call or come to the foreground. (Although it can do some background operations, like logging, etc.)