HTML 5 for apps

Jani Naukkarinen's picture

Hi,

After reading an article about HTML 5 and it's future use for games, I wanted to get your views and opinions on current development utilization of HTML 5. We all have seen Angry Birds for Chrome with HTML5, some quite good-looking news apps for mobile at least, but when is the big wave of applications coming?

From development perspective, at least how I have understood it, you get a quite agile environment with HTML 5, which should be appealing to content owners wishing to mobile their content as well to developers, getting applications out much faster.

So, why is that developers have not yet rushed to have more and more stuff done with HTML 5? Is it because of lacking business model, limited capability to do cutting edge stuff or something else?

Gabor Paller's picture

Well, I don't know why they haven't rushed. But maybe it is interesting to remember the story of XMLHttpRequest Javascript function, key device behind the Ajax web applications. XMLHttpRequest was devised by Microsoft in 2000 and was implemented by Mozilla by 2002. It took 2 further years to appear in all the major browsers and the Ajax term itself appeared in 2005. I'd say that full-blown Ajax hype started to materialize only in 2006-2007.

In short, my answer is: it takes time.

Gabor Paller's picture

Róbert Bodó's picture

I don't know much about web application development since I've developed only native apps so far but I'm sure it is worth to be considered as a viable technology for mobile app development. Coding directly in HTML5/CSS/Javascript can be big burden and I think that's why it has not gained to much ground among mobile app developers. The situation is getting better as appear more and more frameworks providing coding possibility in high level languages and generate the actual web application.

By the way do you know any good book(s)/tutorial(s) about HTML5 development? I plan to code in Java and for that GWT seems to be a good choice. What do you think? Also Vaadin framework looks quiet promising.

Hi,

I have personally not popped into HTML5 development tutorials, I could recommend, but if anybody in Sfonge community has found a good guide/tutorial, please let us know!

Jani

Gabor Paller's picture

I can recommend this one (from Google):
http://slides.html5rocks.com/
It is less of a tutorial and more of a demo tour but is definitely an eye-opener.

Thanks Gabor for a good pointer!

Róbert Bodó's picture

Thanks Gabor, those slides are really good.